For us to process your invoices in MarginEdge, you will need to upload the invoice directly to your unit and this article outlines what information it must have, important things to consider, and a quick list of what we can and cannot process.
At a minimum, an invoice must contain at least all three things listed here in order for our team to process it:
Vendor Name: Name of the vendor/seller/supplier of the goods and services purchased.
Line Items: Every single item purchased (or credited) on the invoice is called a "Line Item". We require itemized details including the name, packaging, quantity, and price of each and every item purchased on the invoice.
Invoice Total: This is the sum of what you have purchased (sum of line items, taxes if applicable, and shipping if any). No $0 invoices allowed.
What happens if I upload an invoice that is missing these things, or they are illegible or incomplete?
1) If we can see these elements are present but cannot read something, are missing a page, or have a cropped or blurry image with information cut off, we will not be able to process it. We will make two attempts to contact you and request a new image; if we get no response, we will delete the invoice.
2) If any of these elements are missing entirely, the document will be deleted and you will be notified via email.
To set who receives these emails, you can adjust your Notification Settings.
OPTIONAL, BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Invoice Number: An invoice number is a unique number that is generated by the vendor for the purchase. We will not automatically create one if none is provided.
Customer Number: Your customer number is the unique number that identifies you with your vendor. This is typically assigned and provided to you at the time of signing up with the vendor. The customer number can also be called- Account Number/Id, Client Number/Id, Customer Id, Customer Code, Site Number/Id.
Invoice Date: The invoice date is the date on which an invoice for goods/services is issued and it is usually the same day the goods/services are supplied.
Without this, we’ll use the ship date or delivery date, or in absence of all these dates, we’ll use the upload date as the invoice date.
GOOD TO HAVE
Payment Account: Which account was used to pay this invoice? If no payment type is provided, we will default to A/P or to whatever payment account is set for that particular vendor.
- The MarginEdge team will make all efforts to process uploaded documents that meet our minimum requirements. Even if they are not final invoices, or even if they have a different company name on top, as long as they have sufficient information for us to record and categorize, we trust someone on your team intentionally uploaded it to the unit, and therefore we will attempt to process it.
- Please understand that uploading multiple records of a single transaction (for example a purchase order and a final invoice for the same order) carries with it the risk of creating duplicates as these documents may be sufficiently dissimilar to not trigger a duplicate warning in [me] or in your accounting system.
- It does not matter what information is on the invoice, if it is outside of your approved date range we will delete it. Unless you have paid for back-processing, MarginEdge will only process 7 days of historical invoices. This date range begins from 7 days back from the day you enter your subscription payment info into MarginEdge.
The mobile app will show you a warning message indicating your approved date range:
WHAT WE CAN PROCESS:
1) Food invoices: All your food purchases can be classified as food invoices.
2) Liquor invoices: This consists of your alcohol purchases- beer, wine, and liquor.
3) Credit memo/note: A credit memo/note is issued by the vendor for returned goods.
4) Utility Bills: These pay for electricity, water, gas, internet, and telephone each month. We process the current charges as the invoice total and not what the utility bill total shows.
5) Insurance Bills: For invoice total, we default to using Minimum due or Current premium.
6) Taxes, fees, and permits: This category includes government taxes, fines, license fees, and other fees and permits.
7) Paid outs/petty cash: These are miscellaneous expenses/reimbursement of staff, paid out of the cash register.
WHAT WE CAN NOT PROCESS:
The following types of documents generally do not contain the required data outlined above. When any of these items are submitted and do not meet the minimum requirements for processing, our team will automatically delete them and an email notification will be sent.
1) Invoices with dates outside of your approved date range. Unless you have paid for back-processing, MarginEdge will only process 7 days of historical invoices. This date range begins from 7 days back from the day you enter your subscription payment info into MarginEdge.
2) Links and ZIP Files. We cannot process invoices if they are sent to us as a link (i.e. to a Dropbox account) or compressed into a Zip file. See below for details on the file formats we can read.
3) Statements: This includes statements from vendors, credit card statements, and tax statements. Statements generally lack line item information about what was purchased.
4) Packaging slips and delivery tickets/slips/notes: These generally contain only packaging details with no information on price.
5) Request for pickup or pickup slips: We don’t process Requests for Pickup or Pickup slips. These generally contain only packaging details with no information on price.
6) Purchase Orders, Order Confirmations, Shipping orders, Bills of Landing, Consignment Receipt or Courier Receipts: We don’t process Shipping orders, bills of landing, consignment receipt, or courier receipts, they do not contain information on price and/or can create duplicate records if an actual invoice is uploaded.
7) Invoices with zero printed total: When an invoice has a zero-amount invoice total we don’t process it.
8) Duplicate invoices with exactly the same details: We will not process duplicate invoices received for a second time without any new information.
9) Check Written to vendors: These are not invoices, there are no line item details, no way to prevent duplicates. If a check is uploaded with an invoice, we can use the check to adjust payment details on the bill.
10) Work Ticket or Service Ticket: we cannot process such items as there are no line items and price information.
11) Labor/Payroll report: This includes your payroll cost for a billing cycle, and we can’t process it as there are no line items or price details.
12) Transaction Receipt: This includes transactions made on the credit/debit card and we can’t process it as there are no line items or price details.
13) Transit receipt: This includes purchases of goods and items that are in transit, you have paid for it but have not physically received it.
14) Paper copies of Internal Transfers: We have a snazzy feature that you can use to enter these transfers directly into your unit!
INVOICE FILE FORMATS
Regarding file types, if you do not want to take pictures of your invoices with the MarginEdge app, you can send us your invoices in JPEG, PNG, CSV, and PDF format.
Please send a separate document per invoice.
Please DO NOT send links to stored documents or zip files.