For us to process invoices in the MarginEdge system, we ask that the invoices have the following information:
Vendor Name: Name of the vendor/seller/supplier of the goods and services purchased.
Line Items: Every single item purchased (or credited) on the invoice is called a "Line Item". We require itemized details including the name, packaging, quantity, and price of each and every item purchased on the invoice.
Invoice Total: This is the sum of what you have purchased (sum of line items, taxes if applicable, and shipping if any). No $0 invoices allowed.
What happens if I upload an invoice that is missing these things, or they are illegible or incomplete?
If we are missing any of these elements on an invoice, missing a page, or have a cropped or blurry image with information cut off, we will not process it. We will make two attempts to contact you and request a new image; if we get no response, we delete the invoice.
OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Invoice Number: An invoice number is a unique number that is generated by the vendor for the purchase.
Customer Number: Your customer number is the unique number that identifies you with your vendor. This is typically assigned and provided to you at the time of signing up with the vendor. The customer number can also be called- Account Number/Id, Client Number/Id, Customer Id, Customer Code, Site Number/Id.
Invoice Date: The invoice date is the date on which an invoice for goods/services is issued and it is usually the same day the goods/services are supplied.
Without this, we’ll use the ship date or delivery date, or in absence of all these dates, we’ll use the upload date as the invoice date.
GOOD TO HAVE
Payment Account: Which account was used to pay this invoice? If no payment type is provided, we will default to A/P or to whatever payment account is set for that particular vendor.
WHAT WE CAN PROCESS:
1) Food invoices: All your food purchases can be classified as food invoices.
2) Liquor invoices: This consists of your alcohol purchases- beer, wine and liquor.
3) Credit memo/note: A credit memo/note is issued by the vendor for returned goods.
4) Utility Bills: These pay for electricity, water, gas, internet and telephone each month. We process the current charges as the invoice total and not what the utility bill total shows.
5) Insurance Bills: For invoice total we prefer to use Minimum due or Current premium.
6) Taxes, fees and permits: This category includes government taxes, fines, license fees, other fees and permits.
7) Paid outs/petty cash: These are miscellaneous expenses/reimbursement of staff, paid out of the cash register.
8) Internal Transfers: An internal transfer is the transfer of products or vendor items from one restaurant unit to another restaurant unit in the same group.
WHAT WE WILL NOT PROCESS:
When any of these items are submitted for processing, our team will automatically delete them without notification.
1) Statements: This includes statements from vendors, credit card statements and tax statements.
2) Packaging slips and delivery tickets/slips/notes: These generally contain only packaging details with no information on price.
3) Request for pickup or pickup slips: We don’t process Requests for Pickup or Pickup slips. These generally contain only packaging details with no information on price.
4) Purchase Orders, Order Confirmations, Shipping order, Bills of Landing, Consignment Receipt or Courier Receipts: We don’t process Shipping order, bill of landing, consignment receipt, or courier receipts, they do not contain information on price and/or can create duplicate records if an actual invoice is uploaded.
5) Invoices with zero printed total: When an invoice has a zero-amount invoice total we don’t process it.
6) Duplicate invoices with exactly the same details: We will not process duplicate invoices received for a second time without any new information.
7) Check Written to vendors: These are not invoices, there are no line item details, no way to prevent duplicates. If a check is uploaded with an invoice, we can use the check to adjust payment details on the bill.
8) Work Ticket or Service Ticket: we cannot process such items as there are no line items and price information.
9) Labor/Payroll report: This includes your payroll cost for a billing cycle, and we can’t process it as there are no line items or price details.
11) Transaction Receipt: This includes transactions made on the credit/debit card and we can’t process it as there are no line items or price details.
12) Transit receipt: This includes purchases of goods and items that are in transit, you have paid for it but have not physically received it.
13) Invoices with dates outside of your approved date range. Unless you have paid for back-processing, MarginEdge will only process 7 days of historical invoices. This date range begins from 7 days back from the day you enter your subscription payment info into MarginEdge.
14) Links and ZIP Files. We cannot process invoices if they are sent to us as a link (i.e. to a dropbox account) or compressed into a Zip file. See below for details on the file formats we can read.
INVOICE FILE FORMATS
Regarding file types, if you do not want to take pictures of your invoices with the MarginEdge app, you can send us your invoices in JPEG, PNG, CSV and PDF format.
Please send one document per invoice.
Please DO NOT send links to stored documents or zip files.