How does this work?
- What does MarginEdge send to NetSuite?
MarginEdge sends invoices, bill payments, and journal entries (sales data, inventory adjustments, and non-AP expenses). Invoices, sent as bills, show up in Accounts Payable (AP). These bills can be paid in NetSuite or marked as paid by our software if using our bill pay feature or uploading a check an invoice was paid with. You also have the option to adjust your settings and send invoice images to NetSuite.
- How does data flow from MarginEdge to NetSuite?
Data flows easily between the two cloud-based systems. You can choose to be the gate-keeper on what sends from MarginEdge into NetSuite (“manual mode”) or you can choose to let the data send automatically (“auto-mode”). See question 8 and 9 for more details on these options.
- Do you support multi-entity NetSuite environments?
Yes, For multi-entity NetSuite environments, you will be able to specify in MarginEdge which restaurant unit relates to which account and subsidiary in NetSuite, so that all data flowing from MarginEdge to NetSuite lands in the appropriate entity.
Wait, you’re not going to mess with my NetSuite, are you?
- Will I have control over the content and the timing of what comes into NetSuite?
Yes, you’ll have several different ways to modify and control how MarginEdge sends your data.
- Invoices – at onboarding, you can determine how invoices are coded; from then on, you can control:
- Category totals (MarginEdge and accounting categories)
- Dates (payment dates, due dates, etc.)
- Vendors (with a suite of options for how each Vendor is processed)
- Sales entries – you can control:
- What categories they are associated with
- What lines are included
- How they look (sales entries are identical to before)
- Inventory adjustments – nothing will be posted into NetSuite until you close the adjustment.
- By default, nothing is sent to your accounting system without your authorization (manual mode)
- Invoices are processed 24-48 hours after MarginEdge receives them; they are then available for approval to flow into your accounting system.
- For your convenience, invoices can flow automatically into NetSuite without any layers of approval (auto mode).
- Does MarginEdge edit/update/manipulate my vendors or chart of accounts?
No! We never edit or update your chart of accounts in NetSuite in any way.
- Can you split a product into different accounting categories?
Yes. You can split products into accounting categories by percentage (e.g. 30% of lemons go to the bar and 70% go to the kitchen). [Learn more in this article on Product Categories]
- Does MarginEdge change transactions after posting in NetSuite?
No! Once we send an invoice, payment, or sales entry to NetSuite, we never adjust it. If you need to make a change, you can delete it in NetSuite, and then resend the data from MarginEdge; but we never alter data in your accounting system. If you use Bill Pay, when a bill is paid we will mark it as paid in accounting (but the bill data will not change in any way). See question 15 and 16 for more information on Bill Pay.
- Does MarginEdge control payment terms for my vendors?
No. You can set up payment terms for vendors manually in our software.
- Can I have complete control over what gets sent to my accounting system?
Yes. For invoices, inventories and sales, there are options to be in “manual mode.” This means that you must manually select every invoice, sales entry and inventory adjustment to be sent to accounting. The alternative is to be in “auto-mode.” We find most clients who start in manual mode quickly switch to auto-mode once they are comfortable with the platform. You can also easily exclude specific vendors from being sent to accounting with just a few clicks, if you’d like.
- What gets sent to accounting automatically in auto-mode?
In auto-mode (used by 90%+ of our clients), every invoice that is closed is immediately sent to accounting. Similarly, each day’s sales entries flow into accounting early the next morning. The accountant does not have to select individual invoices or sales entries to be sent to accounting.
- If I’m in auto-mode, how will I use MarginEdge?
In general, for invoice and sales data, you won’t need to go into MarginEdge. However, for some tasks, you’ll need to use MarginEdge to:
- Research invoices, quickly get invoice info by vendor or by period for easy vendor statement reconciliation
- Investigate an invoice missing from the accounting system
- Change the category for a product
- Change a setting for a vendor
- Can I flag invoices for review?
Absolutely. We have settings for requiring a second layer of review. You can choose this option for all invoices, invoices above a certain dollar amount or for any accounting category. [Learn more in this article on Setting up Invoice Approval]
- What if a really old invoice comes in? Will I know if that happens?
If you’ve closed the books for the period that the invoice is dated in, we will code the invoice to the current period. If you have not closed the books for the period, the invoice will be coded in that period.
We have a Close Book feature that lets you lock the books a set number of hours after the period ends. This ensures MarginEdge stays in sync with NetSuite and past financial reports.
- What happens if I’ve already paid an invoice by check or ACH?
If an invoice is uploaded that has a payment indicated (e.g., a handwritten check number or ACH debit is noted), we will send both the invoice AND the payment info over to accounting.
- What happens if I’ve already paid an invoice by credit card?
For invoices paid by credit card, MarginEdge sends these expenses not as a bill and as AP, but as a journal entry, booking the amount to an expense (e.g., $100 to Food), and booking the amount also to the credit card account you specified. Note that we do not support credit card accounts in NetSuite as of right now.
- Could I pay bills right from the MarginEdge platform?
Yes! With our Bill Pay feature, you can select invoices and schedule them to be paid.
- How will NetSuite know I’ve paid these invoices?
Payments are synced to NetSuite as “vendor payments,” marking the invoices as paid, making bank reconciliation easy.
- Can MarginEdge use classes, locations, and/or departments for sales and invoice data?
- What do sales from MarginEdge look like in NetSuite?
Journal entries. MarginEdge exports sales information (including payment methods, comps, discounts, etc.) from the client’s POS system early each morning following the close of business. Sales can be customized to fit your needs and appear how you’ve always formatted the data.
- Can MarginEdge send sales entries as sales receipts rather than as journal entries?
No, we only support journal entries.
- Does NetSuite support sending invoice images as attachments to the bill?
- Do we support splitting bills and bill payments across multiple locations?
- Are there charges / limits to support?
No, support is free and unlimited.
- Does MarginEdge use Web Services or Platform Services for the connection?
We use the Web Services method and there is no cost to connect.