Just Pay a Vendor allows you to use MarginEdge Bill Pay to immediately schedule a payment to your vendors without waiting on a processed invoice. It’s ideal for those “oh sh*t” moments when you realize a bill is due but that invoice has not yet been uploaded to MarginEdge! Invoice images can be uploaded and processed after the fact. Just Pay a Vendor provides the benefits of sending a payment immediately without waiting 2 days for invoice processing, but allows you to indicate this is not just a Category-level invoice; you still want all the line item data from the invoice for your reporting.
Create an Invoice and Bill Pay Payment
Just Pay a Vendor works by creating a “shell” invoice with just enough information to pay the vendor. There is no line-item or category-level data available for these invoices until the image is uploaded and processed. Once we finish processing it, then that data will flow to your reporting; this process just gives you a shortcut to paying it!
1. From Orders > Orders, Click on the "Add Invoice" button, you will see a split arrow to click. From that dropdown, click on "Create Invoice".
2. Select "One Time Invoice" and then choose "Line-item detail".
3. You will need to either upload the invoice now, or check to acknowledge that no line items will be processed until we receive an invoice image from you.
4. This opens a box where you can enter the information needed to create the invoice.
- Vendor: Select a vendor from the drop-down menu.
If you want to create an invoice for a vendor that is not in your account already, please send an email to email@example.com to ask and let them know the new vendor's name.
- Invoice Date
- Invoice Number: Please do your best to enter the correct invoice number here if you intend to upload the image. Without an accurate invoice number, our team may not be able to merge the invoice image you upload later with this invoice.
- Payment Account: Select a payment account with a type of Accounts Payable. If you only have one A/P payment account, it will default to that account.
- Total: The total dollar amount of the invoice. This is what will be paid to the vendor.
- Invoice Image: Optional. If an image is uploaded it will be processed. If no image is uploaded the invoice will go into "Image Pending" status.
5. Once all required fields are populated, click "Create Invoice".
6. Now follow that invoice on over to the Bill Pay > Invoices screen. From there, you can select the invoice and create a payment as normal.
Don't forget that the invoice is in "Image Pending" and won't have any data available to populate through your MarginEdge reporting until you upload the invoice image!
Uploading for Processing the Invoice After Paying
Once the shell invoice has been created, you can pay it, but it will still need to go through normal invoice processing so that we can get all the data needed to populate your reporting. This is achieved in the same way we gather info from all of your other invoices -- by uploading an image!
- Upload the image right when you create the shell invoice.
- Attach the image to an existing shell invoice.
An existing shell invoice without an image attached will show in your Orders screen in an "Image Pending" status. You can click on this invoice and attach an image to it through the web or mobile app.
- Upload the image like you would for any new invoice.
If you created the shell invoice with the correct invoice number, you can upload the image just like you would any other invoice (like sending it straight to your designated @meinvoices.com email address) and our team will be able to match it to the shell invoice. Once the image and the shell are merged, the data will now get processed like any other invoice.
What happens if the total from the invoice I created doesn't match the image I upload?
Oops! But it's okay! If our team sees that the two totals don't match, we will triple check to determine which number we think is accurate and we will rectify it in the following ways:
- If you ended up Underpaying the invoice:
The invoice total is updated to be the full amount as determined by our team. The invoice is returned to the Bill Pay > Invoices screen and marked as partially paid with the difference as the balance.
- If you ended up Overpaying the invoice:
A credit is generated for the amount overpaid to be applied to a future invoice and this will appear on the Bill Pay > Invoices screen.